Monday, February 4, 2008

Best Quarterback of All Time?


I listen to sports radio for two reasons: 1. I like sports, 2. I don't like listening to music stations.  The last two weeks I have been mildly annoyed by all the analysts and fans that have been calling Tom Brady "the best quarterback ever." Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great quarterback. This season he broke a number of records that were nothing short than amazing, plus he's won three Super Bowls and has three Super Bowl MVP Awards. He is, without doubt, a great quarterback. But, is he the best ever?

Whatever happened to Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, and Terry Bradshaw, just to name a few? What about Peyton Manning, a quarterback who has put up impressive numbers without having the amazing front five that Brady has? And what about my favorite quarterback of all time, Brett Favre?

In this last year, Favre became the most accomplished quarterback of all time. In the NFL, he holds the record for career passing yards, career passing attempts, career completions, career touchdown passes, career wins as a starting quarterback, and is second in consecutive games started.  For the Packers he holds the records for career games played, career passing yards, career passing attempts, career completions, and career touchdown passes, thus becoming the most accomplished quarterback in Green Bay history.
Some people argue, "He is also the career leader in interceptions!"  Yeah, and Babe Ruth led his era in strike-outs.  Does that take away the fact that he was one of the greatest home-run hitters of all time?  Not at all.  
My argument: Brady is good, but he is not the best.  Will he be labeled the best by some?  Certainly.  Will he forever be remembered among the greats?  No doubt.  Is he the greatest quarterback of all time?  Not in my opinion. 

2 comments:

Lanae said...

You are only as good as your offensive line. The thing is...no matter how good you are...there will always be somebody that is better. Such is life!

Alisha said...

I agree with Mom. You didn't mention Steve Young, though. I always thought he was pretty good too!