Monday, February 4, 2008

I LOVE FOOTBALL!!


Football is my family's sport. On my mom's side of the family, my grandpa, uncles, and cousins all played football. In high school, I played. It is a sport that runs deep in our veins and there isn't a bigger football fan out there than my mom. She used to attend her brother's football games and never missed one of mine. I love seeing her get into a game, and the best part is she has a deep understanding of the way football is played!

The Green Bay Packers have been my team ever since I was little; once again, thanks to my mom. She used to tell me stories about my uncle Devon, when he played at BYU, and how he was offered to play for Green Bay. Due to his family situation and a shoulder injury, he decided to continue his education and get a master's degree in civil engineering instead of helping the Pack become an even more dominant team. Needless to say, from that time forward, my mom was a Green Bay fan.

I was disappointed they lost to the Giants in the NFC championship. Favre was rocking all year long until that game. I decided I would rather clean my bathroom with my tongue than see the Patriots win the Super Bowl. So, in the Super Bowl I was all for the Giants.

I must say, this Super Bowl was absolutely amazing! The hype, the records, the perfect season, the pressure, the dynasty, the Mannings . . . everything came together to make this one of the most highly anticipated games of the decade . . . maybe of the CENTURY! What made it even better was the pride--everyone from fans to sports analysts were choosing the Patriots as the new world champions. It makes you wonder if these guys ever rented or watched the Might Ducks trilogy?

I'm sure the Giants spent the last two weeks carefully analyzing movies like The Mighty Ducks, Kicking and Screaming, Rudy, Remember the Titans, and Miracle. They were underdogs in every sense of the word! The Patriots oozed confidence, and you could see that most of them were already envisioning themselves as the only team to win 19 games in one season. Overconfidence killed the Pats.

Super Bowl XLII was one of the best defensive games I have ever seen. The Giants stopped Tom Brady, a man that was being touted as "the best quarterback ever" by countless fans and analysts, and neutralized the NFL's highest scoring offense. What was witnessed by all was what I like to call "The Mighty Ducks Factor."

The moment the Patriots scored with 2:40 left to play, putting them ahead of the Giants, they lost. In their minds they had won, but there was so much time left to play. The following two minutes showed an underdog team pull together (with the help of a miracle or two) to slay the mighty Patriots! Manning, who has dealt with comparisons to his older brother his entire career, won a Super Bowl and the MVP trophy, putting him right next to his brother in the winner's circle. However, while Manning played the game of his life, I felt like the real MVP's were the defensive linemen.

Many people are angry or disappointed by the outcome. For me, it's the reason why I love sports.

It was a great game, and I feel very happy for the Giants.

3 comments:

Lanae said...

I like Green Bay too. You know so much about football. I wish I had half your knowledge. Maybe Green Bay will make the Super Bowl next year? We can only hope!

Lanae said...

To redeem myself from the last comment I made. Thanks for giving me (and my extended family) the credit for your love of Football (esp. Green Bay). You did a great job as Defensive End. Uncle Devon would come and watch just you and would make comments like....He was where he was suppose to be. He did his job. I just sat in fear hoping that you didn't get killed. Those are good memories. Thanks for the tribute.

Alisha said...

I also love football, thanks to Mom. That game was truly amazing. I loved watching the defense attack the Patriot's offense...all those Sacks against the "greatest QB of all time!" Ha Ha!