Friday, February 1, 2008

President Hinckley's Viewing

Yunuen and I had the opportunity to go to President Hinckley's viewing yesterday. My boss helped me by switching schedules with me so I was able to get off early. I flew by, picked Yuni up, and we walked from our apartment to the Conference Center.

I couldn't believe how many people were there, or how many people arrived while we were waiting in one of the many lines that had formed outside. After a while they started letting us into the main auditorium to get out of the cold, and then row by row, took us to the third floor where President Hinckley's coffin was being kept.

As we were walking toward the open foyer where his open casket was on display, I began to feel an amazing feeling of peace and tranquility. The casket was decorated beautifully with flower arrangements; however, there was nothing Gaudi or flashy. Everything was very humble, very respectful, and very simple. The prophet's body was dressed in white, his facial features gaunt and sunken. Spectators wiped tears, smiled, paused by his coffin, and looked on his earthly remains with contemplative silence.

Yuni stood and looked upon President Hinckley with grateful eyes. She wiped a few tears from her eyes, and smiled up at me. I felt completely at peace, and felt the Spirit whisper to my heart, as it has many times in the past, that the church is true.

It was an unforgettable and precious experience.

2 comments:

Lanae said...

What a beautiful experience. I'm glad that you and Yuni were able to go. I told Dad today, that I have never gone to a viewing of the prophets. He hadn't either. We should have made it a priority. I'm grateful that you didn't pass it by. Thanks for sharing.

Lanae said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.